Now I won't lie, I cannot sew! And despite watching numerous you-tube videos and hunting down my curtain makers, the numbers just didn't add up and we wanted this installed in a matter of days. So I decided to try a no-sew approach. I must say this hasn't been endorsed by IKEA but we did end up using everything from there. So if you are a no-sew kind of guy/gal and you want to create something similar, this is what you need.
This took me around an hour from start to finish. So a super quick and easy project. (After you navigated the isles of IKEA)
Work your way down the blind. I would suggest keeping the fabric (yet to be adhered), rolled up as it prevents it from getting creased or in your way. I applied a SY strip at every baton on the blind, This made sure that the fabric was definitely attached at these points. You could also consider using upholstery spray glue on the rest of the blind, but I was concerned regarding staining, and keeping the fabric supple so I avoided this. Make sure that your fabric is flat the way through before ironing on.
At the top of the blind there are little metal loops that the blind hangs from. To get the fabric over and around these, make little cuts in the fabric at the point where it would fold over and slide the head of the loop through. Make the cut as little as possible as you do not want the fabric to start fraying.
Once you are done on the front of the blind, flip it over so the fabric is face down and the blind back is facing up. Now its time to hem the edges. I started with the sides as the fabric had a neat edge here and it was an easy win. Next move to the top and bottom. Fold the cut edge of the fabric so that the end was tucked in, then apply the SY strip and while holding the fabric in place iron it down. You will need to work on smaller sections at a time ensuring that the fabric is flat, neat and taught before ironing.
Finally at the corners, by folding in the corners of the fabric and using the same way we did at the top and bottom, make a neat hem.
Making sure that all the SY has set, you are ready to hang you blind!
Some things I learned while on this no-sew roman blind project;
So I got to work measuring out the walls and the spaces available to start my panelling adventure. It is really important to note details such as where plugs and switches are, or where your radiator is fitted. If you don't consider these you could end up with a proportion of your panel distorted by the radiator - whereas if you consider it, then you can design around it making it a more considered look.
After I was happy with the provisional panel layouts and how the room would look, I got to a second measurement. This ensured that I had the correct lengths and knew how many of each I needed. It might sound completely daft but make sure that you measure from fixed points, and measure from the outside of each panel.
After that check your local timber yard or DIY store for the right type of beading to use. I ordered mine online as I knew I needed a lot. I did some maths to calculate which is the best way to cut the pieces out of the pre-cut lengths that are delivered. Lets say a piece of beading is 2m long, you might be able to get two lengths of 80cm and one of 40cm out of it if you cut it carefully. Its unfortunately not as easy as adding up all the lengths you need, as you will want to have as few joints as possible, and therefore keeping them to the corners as much as you can. Lightly sand the cut edges and I would also write in pencil on the back of them the lengths that they are, its so easy to get confused and spend ages re-measuring.
Once you have all your pieces, you will need a ladder, a level, and a nail gun (trust me you don't want to be doing this with a simple nail and hammer, it will take you years). Some people advocate gluing them to the wall first before nailing them in. I skipped this bit and opted to just nail them in as I had a pneumatic nail gun which packed a punch.
I would start from the smallest panel and do two adjoining sides first, this makes it easier to triangulate the remaining two sides so you get a whole square/rectangle.
I have always been fascinated by older houses and their history. Every new owner changes something and these are passed onto the next people living in the space. Our house is not any different. The grand staircase going up the centre of the house has many doors leading off into various rooms, but one of these doors is a fake!
The original house used to have a separate bathroom and water-closet (WC), but a few owners ago this layout was changed and the two rooms were knocked through to create a spacious en suite for one of the bedrooms, and the bathroom was moved into one of the bedrooms (Link to see this space). This left two redundant doors in the hallway, as the access to this room was though a new doorway directly into the bedroom. A while ago one of the owners decided to get rid of one of the door ways and leave the other (who knows why!), but this created the perfect opportunity for my project! I have always wanted to create a doorway bookshelf. I believe that storing books in a redundant doorway has a magical, naria-esque, romance to it. The mystery of where that door lead to, is mirrored in the mysteries held amongst the pages of those books held within it.
The above photos show some of the inspirational shots you can also see on my staircase board on Pinterest. With these I wanted to freshen up our space. Our door doesn't open or needed to be walked through like the blue one above (although these doors are super cool and some amazing IG folk have got these beauties - see below). So the process was relatively simple!
, Btw as mentioned above, here are some other beautiful doorway bookshelves from some real homes in the UK! If you know of any others please send them to me!